In simple embroidery tasks, there are only three things to consider to get going. These are the fabric, needle, and of course the embroidery thread. Any type and kind of these materials will do but not if designing a cloth with embroideries. The task will surely need a complementing size, texture, and color of thread.
This is because the thread is what will remain over the fabric so ensuring that the thread will not distort or twist in place is very important. For that, you can choose the right partner for a specific needlework from the following types of embroidery threads:
– Embroidery floss or stranded cotton. This type of thread is composed of six strands of twisted threads of cotton, silk, rayon, linen, and the newly added novelty materials of flosses. The cotton ones are usually used in hand embroideries like cross stitching and the likes. The shiny silk and rayon are more used in Brazilian embroideries, while linen threads are used on periodic costumes.
– Perle cotton, pearl cotton, or French coton perlé is another type of embroidery threads. This is an S twisted thread that is composed of 2 plies of thread. Like the rayon floss, it is extremely shiny. It is popular in three sizes and weights and is best described in numbers like No. 3, 4, and 8 with 8 as the smallest.
– Matte embroidery cotton or French coton à broder is the participation of French in the needle art. It is a matte-finish, which simply means not glossy in layman’s terms. This is the type of thread that has 5 plies of twisted thread.
– Medici or broder medici is a branded thread from the famous DMC Group. It is a fine, light-weight wool that is used for everyday hand embroidery. To date it is no longer patent to its manufacturer
– Crewel yarn is another type of a especial thread used for Crewel embroidery. It is a type of thread that is composed of 2 plies of fine yarn of wool. Sometimes a wool-like acrylic is also applicable as a substitute.
– Persian yarn is a thread basically manufactured from the Persian makers. This is a type of embroidery thread that is made up of 3 strands of loosely twisted yarn of wool or acrylic. This type is usually used for needlepoint.
– Tapestry yarn or tapestry wool is the last type of embroidery thread. It is composed of 4 plies of tightly twisted yarn.
All of these are basically used for hand embroidery while there are also a set of different types of yarn for machine embroidery, which are often of polyester or rayon but cotton or silk are also available.
The choice made for embroidery thread will definitely make a great intervention in the end product of the embroidery task. It is therefore expected that before making a pick, the base fabric and the needle are also considered. Ensure that the rest of embroidery materials to be used for designing are complementing each other.
Remember that as simple as a sagging base fabric can distort the entire needlework, so ensure that the hoops and its clams are always at its best functionality before going to work. Also, the numbers of the thread and needle must match to ensure compatibility before anything else.